Style notes: how to work the leather skirt in 2016
The leather skirt is one of those items of clothing that people assume is simply a faddy fashion trend for the super-slim, super-youthful and super-beautiful. In reality, leather skirts are extremely versatile and can be easy to wear if you know how. It’s a look designers return to season after season, and Yves Saint Laurent and Chloé can’t be wrong! What’s more, a timeless black leather skirt in a classic shape is an investment buy you’ll still be wearing in ten years’ time, guaranteed.
If you’re still feeling a little apprehensive about reaching for the leather let Café La Moda guide you through the dos and don’ts of how to wear a leather skirt in 2016 with our style tidbits. We’ve also taken the hassle out of online shopping for your new skirt with our comparison tables, which bring you the latest styles, designers and brands so that you’re completely spoilt for choice. Aren’t we good to you?
Types of leather skirt
A-line A-line leather skirts are the most flattering and wearable shape; it’s safe to say they suit all shapes. The A-line shape also makes it extremely versatile; they can be mini or midi, waist-cinching or hip-skimming and in a myriad of colours.
Pleated A contemporary take on this classic look, the pleated leather skirt is ideal for adding extra interest to an outfit. Usually short or mid-length, this is a gorgeous choice to pair with a blouse and blazer for a sartorial upgrade.
Faux leather The faux leather skirt is a cheap alternative to real leather for those strapped for cash or opposed on ethical grounds. Modern technology now means that faux leather is of such good quality that you may not even realise it’s not authentic!
How should I wear my new leather skirt?
So, we’ve established that the mini skirt should be left to those with youth on their side, but what other golden rules apply to wearing leather skirts to suit your shape? Read on…
Pear-shaped A classic A-line shape will skim your posterior and hips, slimming you down and highlighting your little waist. Amp up the look with a waist belt to cinch that waist in even further.
Boyish Stick to a simple shape and pair your leather skirt with a printed tee and slouchy cardigan for a daytime look. Add a blazer and roll up the sleeves and you’re ready to hit the town.
Busty Avoid anything too tight and balance our your proportions with a form-fitting pencil skirt or waist-cinching A-line style. Both will show off your waist and emphasize your womanly curves.
Larger frames A-line and wraparound styles are both great picks for you. If you’re looking to buy a plus-size leather skirt, stick to these to create a sleek silhouette that flatters your frame.
Petite The form-fitting pencil skirt was made for your petite proportions. Team with a simply top half, opaque black tights and black wedge boots to really elongate your frame and give you legs that go on forever.
Here’s some final handy hints on how to perfect the leather look:
- Remember, the slimmer-fitting or more figure-hugging the skirt, the slimmer your legs need to be to carry off the look.
- For a casual look, and undoubtedly the chicest way to wear a leather skirt, is to keep the top simple and let the leather do the talking. A loose-fitting basic jersey top and cardigan looks great, or a rock, glam-grunge print top and flat ankle boots is great for adding a cool edge to the outfit.
- Take the leather skirt into evening wear with a classic tailored blazer and heels
- High-waisted leather skirts may seem daunting but they really are the future. Invest for a modern and flattering look.
- Keep accessories to a minimum. A watch, necklace and belt is all you’ll ever need.
- Never team your leather skirt with a leather jacket or denim.
- Wear with confidence, attitude and eyeliner!